Loading...

Main Street: The Way We Were

Mike Sanphy, City of Westbrook Historian and President of the Westbrook Historical Society, along with Deb Shangraw, Westbrook Maine Historical Society, Vice President will take you through the way Main Street was before buildings were taken during Urban Renewal, burned down or removed by others.
From the only Historic District, Cumberland Mills, to the heart of the downtown, Mike and Deb will enlighten participants of the historic buildings and places that once stood along this route.

We will begin at the Cornelia Warren Recreational Field, then head down to the river to the infamous black bridge, to the “Boy & the Dog Statue,” to The Elms Home built in the late 1800’s, through the Cumberland Mills Historic District, to the Society’s Historic Nathan Harris 1828 house, which also has rare and historic oil painted murals on many walls depicting a few events of the early 1800’s; down along Main Street until the final destination at Westbrook Commons once known as the location of the Freedom Trail which was part of the Underground Railroad Slavery Freedom system.

Accessibility:

Folks can use scooters, bikes and all locations would be wheelchair accessible except a small patch of pathway heading toward the Boy & Dog Statue that is hard packed dirt. A wheelchair might have an issue if the dirt is soft. All other pathways are paved and/or sidewalks along Main Street.

Starting Location:

Cornelia Warren Recreational Fields – meet in parking lot

Ending Location:

Westbrook House of Pizza
1 Westbrook Common
Westbrook, Maine 04092

Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):

Learn more about SDGs

  • 03 - Good Health and Well-Being

May 4, 2024 / 11:00 AM

Led by: Mike Sanphy
Organization: Westbrook Maine Historical Society
Duration: One hour
City/Town: Westbrook
County: Cumberland
Language(s): English